The ties are glued down and distressed. Next step was to paint the ties. Yes, I said paint. Maggie and I used a variety of acrylic paints to paint the ties. We had watched Troels Kirk’s “Realistic Color for Railroad Modeling” DVD recently and instead of staining the ties, we thought we would give painting a try to see if we could get our end result with painting alone. Maggie wanted to show me some of the “tricks” she had learned in her summer art class last summer, so she dabbed a few of the ties after I had thoroughly botched several. However, we got the knack of doing it after working with our paints, best mixed colors etc. Each tie was painted a little differently. Now granted, a lot of work on a large layout, but we are building one module at a time. Our biggest concern is to, as Maggie said, make sure the next section looks like this one!
After the paint dried, we went back over the ties with both brown and black chalks. I blended the chalks in using 200 grit sandpaper. We decided to use the chalks to blend all of the ties and tone down some of the brighter green we had lightly dabbed on the ties to represent moss etc. Maggie and I decided that this was real cool process compared to the stain a batch of ties process and the results were very realistic. See for yourself.