Bashing a Bachmann Combine: First steps

With the holidays over and ice falling today, I thought I would get back to some modeling. Still sitting on my desk is combine #26 awaiting conversion to its final combine caboose configuration.

The first step was to determine where to locate the cupola in conjunction with the floor and roof. My initial thought was towards the end of the passenger section giving it the traditional look.  I made a mock up of one end of the cupola and placed it on the roof.

Cupola at the end

Cupola at the end

Cupola at end side view

Cupola at end side view

I did not like that location, and I doubt the real railroad would stick the cupola there either. So I moved it closer to the car center similar to DRGW #212.

Cupola in center

Cupola in center

I didn’t want to have the cupola just sit over the roof because I wanted viewers to be able to see the inside of the cupola. So I measured and marked the masking tape then proceeded with sawing out the roof section. I first scored the mark lines with an X-Acto knife then used my Micro-Mark saw to remove the clerestory section. The remaining edge of the roof I removed with rail nippers.

Halfway cut

Halfway cut

 

Tools used to remove roof section.

Tools used to remove roof section.

Next time, building the cupola

Next time, building the cupola

Bashing a Bachmann Combine: First steps©

By H Mathews, January 2017

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Kitbashing, Northern Maryland, On30. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s