With the holidays over and ice falling today, I thought I would get back to some modeling. Still sitting on my desk is combine #26 awaiting conversion to its final combine caboose configuration.
The first step was to determine where to locate the cupola in conjunction with the floor and roof. My initial thought was towards the end of the passenger section giving it the traditional look. I made a mock up of one end of the cupola and placed it on the roof.
I did not like that location, and I doubt the real railroad would stick the cupola there either. So I moved it closer to the car center similar to DRGW #212.
I didn’t want to have the cupola just sit over the roof because I wanted viewers to be able to see the inside of the cupola. So I measured and marked the masking tape then proceeded with sawing out the roof section. I first scored the mark lines with an X-Acto knife then used my Micro-Mark saw to remove the clerestory section. The remaining edge of the roof I removed with rail nippers.
Bashing a Bachmann Combine: First steps©
By H Mathews, January 2017